Thursday, July 22, 2010

If you can't take the heat..

Well, I can take the heat with a little rain on the side and that's exactly it. Little. I guess I digress but as I look around I see some garden areas that are enjoying this sultry weather. The Abyssinian Ensete (banana cousins) are looking quite perky, shown here underplanted with castor beans (Ricinus) and copper-leaf (Acalypha). They are certainly thriving in the beyond balmy nights (70 deg.+) Over yonder in the upper cutting garden, we are exploding with summer flowers. Zinnia, Lisianthus, Phlox, Delphinium, Dianthus, Amaranthus, and the list goes on. No small chore keeping these plants irrigated and fertilized.













Last week I rambled on about English tuberous begonias at White Flower Farm and I now think we are holding our own at Mohonk with our American hybrids. Protected in the shade of the Lake Porch, it is quite a show. 


The orange Begonia in the basket is 'firecracker' which is a hybrid of Begonia boliviensis...handles a slight more sun.

For more "flower power" check out the Plant of the Week link...TTFN off to Maine for a couple of days.

Gartenmeister

1 comment:

Comments? Questions? Let Me Know!