Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Welcome back!

As I write, we are expecting a frost this evening. The truth about frost is that 32 degrees F is not a killing frost. That's 28 degrees F or "black frost." Often these "extremes" of temperature happen around the full moon which is two weeks away. So we press on regardless and don't worry about the pansies (pansies are tough, they just can't take the heat).


My featured blue plant is Camassia coerulea. It is quite showy this week both in the Show Garden and the Long Arbor border at Mohonk Mountain House. Planted in the fall, this is a hardy bulb that fills that awkward gap between spring bulbs and early perennials. Of course we source it from our good friends at Scheepers in Bantam, CT. Camassia is native and fairly deer resistant...what's not to like?


Oh, and speaking of BLUE, I have my eye on this blue Koi for the Mohonk fountain. A lovely variety called Shusui, she (I'm told) has stunning markings of deep orange. Who knows? She might be swimming here by the weekend. My buddy at Sugar Loaf Koi, Matt Corino has groovy fish of all varieties. I'm like a kid in candy store there.

...off this weekend to a high brow plant sale and garden tour in western Connecticut...I'll keep you posted.

Drew


1 comment:

  1. Love that Koi! Let us know when it starts swimming around Mohonk :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Let Me Know!